Tuesday, June 4, 2013

People watching

In the Jack Johnson song that so many of us know there is a line that says "I'm just people watching other people watching me."  In a melting pot city, such as Florence, it is a people watcher's paradise.  Now, let me just preface this post by saying that I know I must be comical to watch at times as I try to keep the kids from whacking into a stranger, getting hit by a bus, or sissy fighting with each other (this usually starts as some sort of benign hand slapping game).  But, people watching is in my blood.  My paternal grandmother could tell you the date and time anyone entered or exited a house on their street - her curtains were NEVER closed.  And, my maternal grandmother was just plain in everyone's business.  I would go into detail about other living family members, but they may disown me (and I like them).

I have to admit to being completely shocked that the Florentines aren't the most exciting people to watch.  I expected to see chic, scantily clad women stolling the streets (not that chic and scantily clad have to go hand in hand).  Florentines, however, are practically more covered than the Amish!  I feel like the one being risque when I wear khaki shorts.  Now, I knew coming into this trip that Florentines tend to dress with their arms and legs covered, even in the summer.  But, for some reason all of those fashion magazines I read as a teen must have brainwashed me from fully absorbing this information.  So, I have very quickly learned not to judge the weather or temperature by looking out the window to see how others are dressed.

The more touristy areas of town, however, are a whole other ball game!  I am still undecided whether French or Asian tourists are my favorite because neither tends to give a shit whether you are looking at them.  Today, I actually tried to take my first "discreet" iPhone picture of a stranger because I knew Tom would never believe me when I described the person.  As the girls were riding the antique wooden carousel (la giostra) in the Piazza della Repubblica, I noticed two men who were begging me to look their way.  I was fascinated by them, fixated on their every move.  I really thought Bella may catch on and start to point at them (and when she points at things she uses her middle finger - it is my punishment for the beast I know I have created).


But, my favorite people watching came this morning as we got to video chat with family.  For my technologically inclined friends, this may seem like no big deal.  But, I NEVER thought I would see the day when MY parents would video chat.  I am pretty sure that my mom doesn't know how to turn on the tablet.  And, my Dad is new to the "smart" technology world - but he is trying!  Regardless, there is nothing that brings me more joy than having a talk with my mom where we don't really talk about anything in particular.  My mom and I were giggling and giving each other "jazz hands" from two worlds away.  While voice communication is great, I know that actually seeing us gave my Mom some level of comfort that we were safe and sound.  And, isn't that the reassurance that every mother needs.

After we Skyped with my parents, we FaceTimed with Tom's parents.  Now, Tom's parents are techwizards  for their age demographic.  We FaceTime with them on a pretty regular basis, even when we are home.  Sometimes one of the kids will just want to say "I love you" or play a song on an instrument for them.  So, they indulge us with our unscheduled interjections into their days.  Seeing as how Tom's parents have traveled to Italy on a number of occassions, I know they too are craving tidbits about our daily experiences.  They are dying to know the steps we have taken and the things we have experienced - it lets them feel like they are here with us.

As one of the most social creatures on the planet, humans were designed to people watch.  Sometimes we gain information or learn new ways of doing a task from observing others.  People watching can also give you insight into a culture or what your family is doing back in the States.  But, most of all it is just fun to be nosey when you are passing time.




No comments:

Post a Comment