Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Tastes like salty chicken


There is nothing like swimming in the ocean, especially when the water is so clear you can see if anything is sneaking up on you.  Today we took a tour to Cinque Terre (pronounced Ch-ink-wa Terry).  While our tour guide was horrendous and should probably be in another profession (like one where you get to ignore the company you are keeping), the four-some of ladies with whom we traveled were fabulous (a Steelers fan, a Colorado gal, and two Montreal transplants who love Vermont - eh).  

We drove from Florence to La Spezia and took a short train ride into Manarola, one of the five towns that comprise the Cinque Terre.  The water was so beautiful it almost looked make-believe.  It was a perfectly clear blue-teal color.  The villages sit on a rocky cliff, so the water's edge is dotted with great rock formations off of which you can (carefully) dive and swim.  I got some amazing action shots of Bella jumping in the Mediterranean Sea from a rock jutty.  Scarlett was a little more hesitant about getting into the water because her personal lifeguard (i.e. me) didn't wear my bathing suit.  But, she dunked herself and took refreshment from the sweltering heat.  

Next, we took a water taxi to the village of Vernazza where we had a pasta and seafood feast at Gianni Franzi.  The restaurant is a conglomeration of huge beach umbrellas right on the water's edge, which was a welcome reprieve from the blaring sun.  I was "forced" to switch from my drink of choice, chianti, to the local white wines that are the only acceptable thing to pair with the local seafood.  Our first course of pasta was a pesto dish, and frankly the most amazing pesto I have ever eaten.  Apparently, they start by cooking green beans and small potato pieces, then add the pesto sauce and place it over thick  2-3 inch pasta twigs.  

Our next course was spaghetti with clams and mussels in white wine and olive oil.  Now, I love seafood, but I don't really dig clams, mussels or oysters.  But, when in Italy one must at least try everything that is served.  The shellfish had clearly been imbibing in the local white wine, so I figured it could only add to MY buzz.  Bella was adventurous and also tried the clams.  She proclaimed that they tasted like salty chicken - pretty spot on description from the budding food critic, who by the way didn't particularly care for the clams.  Scarlett was only brave enough to lick a clam but wouldn't stick it fully in her mouth.  

Next we were served stuffed mussels - a combination of mussels, cheese and tomatoes stuffed back into the shell.  I found this dish fairly palatable.  But, I had consumed a few more glasses of wine by the time it was served.  Bella also tried the stuffed mussels, again comparing it to salty chicken.  Our lunch was topped off with the dietary challenge of the day - sliced potatoes topped with anchovies and tomatoes.  This was definitely a close your eyes and chew moment.  I could tell the kids were looking at me to take the lead.  Shit!  Before I could let the alcohol-induced fog clear, I cut off a piece and shoved it in my mouth.  It wasn't terrible, but not really my favorite.  Bella, on the other hand, really liked it.  Again, it was salty, but the potatoes and tomatoes did a good job at disguising those furry little fishies.

After lunch, the girls took another quick dip in the Mediterranean Sea and we water taxied to Riomaggiore.  We grabbed a gelato there and let me tell you that it couldn't compare to the gelateria in our hood.  We are La Carraia loyal.  Because of the huge meal, mass quantity of alcohol and suffocating heat, I ended up throwing my gelato in the trash.  

No comments:

Post a Comment